Friday, February 4, 2011

February 1, 2011


Dear Family,
Time is flying by!  I just got here, and it's hard to believe I leave next week!  I head out for Oklahoma the 9th.  We leave at 4:00 in the morning from the MTC.  I'm not sure what time my flight leaves, but I'm allowed to call from the airport so I'll let you know! 
This week has been wonderful.  I love the MTC!  Coming on a mission I wanted to show gratitude for everything Heavenly Father has given me.  I kind of wanted to "pay Him back" I guess, but I'm learning more and more that I really am an unprofitable servants.  Every time I make a sacrifice, Heavenly Father makes up for it and blesses me so much more. 
At first it was hard to be in a companionship, but after a little while I started praying every time I wasn't feeling the way I wanted to, and it was amazing how quickly Heavenly Father took those feelings away and gave me so much love for her!  She's an amazing girl and she's had a much harder life than I have, and I'm really growing to appreciate our differences and how we can help each other.  The elders are getting better at being quiet, and they feel like brothers to me.  They definitely liven things up.  The blessing I got from the Stake President about health problems I've had in the past not being an issue was true!  I haven't had any stomach aches or anxiety and it's been wonderful not having those distractions.  Those are just three of the examples of how Heavenly Father has blessed me for being here.  The church is true!
The most amazing thing here is teaching.  We practice a lot with other missionaries and volunteers and teachers.  I had one hard lesson with a teacher where the Spirit wasn't there and I couldn't figure out why not.  That was hard, but the vast majority have been so great.  We taught a man yesterday in the TRC (where I used to volunteer) show lost his wife a year ago.  We taught him and he was so receptive to the message and believed it immediately.  The Spirit was so strong and we could all feel it.  I realized just what I'll be doing for the next 18 months and I'm so excited to get to Oklahoma and teach the people there!  I can't even tell you how happy and uplifted that lesson made me feel.  There's no better feeling!
One more great thing about the MTC this week was watching the Joseph Smith movie Sunday night.  The Spirit was so strong and once again I was amazed at everything Joseph Smith had to go through and how few fruits of the Gospel he saw (kinda like Abinadi).  Looking around after the movie at the 1500 missionaries in the room with me (500 others had gone to other movies), I was just so amazed that the work Joseph Smith started has grown so much.  2000 of us here in the MTC are getting ready to share his message of Jesus Christ and the restored gospel with people ALL OVER THE WORLD and 50,000 missionaries are already out!  This work is truly amazing and I feel so blessed to be a part of it.
Thank you so much for your letters and the package.  I love you all so, so much.  I look forward to talking with you next week at the airport!  The church is true and missionary work is the best thing on earth!
Love,
Sister Monson

No comments:

Post a Comment