Sunday, April 10, 2011

April 4, 2011

Hello Family!
 
This week was good, especially because of General Conference!  It was really neat to be able to share that with people this week and invite them to come, although not many did. 
 
Austin got interviewed for his baptism on April Fools Day, so he and the District Leader decided to pull a prank on us by saying he didn't pass.  I only believed it for a second, but that second was pretty terrifying.  Thank goodness it was a joke, because Sister St. Clair and I yelled April Fools and it would've been bad if we'd been wrong. 
 
We've run into a lot of people this week who have had misconceptions about our doctrine or who just have really different opinions about religion.  One guy told us, "God didn't create us because He loves us.  He created us to worship Him."  I felt so awful and sad when he said that, I felt just the opposite when when Elder Perry said "the Sabbath was created for man, not man for the Sabbath."  I am so grateful Heavenly Father has blessed us with ways to know truth, and I'm so grateful I already have it in my life, because the truth is so amazing and so beautiful, and it brings so much happiness.  We have a Heavenly Father who loves us, and we He has given us a prophet and apostles so we can be guided in this crazy life.  I love the gospel!
 
For service we've been going to a nursing home each week and visiting the people there.  Many people don't have any visitors, and they're lonely and sick, so it's been so rewarding to see them.  When we first started going we met three sisters who are absolutely amazing. They have so much love for each other. One of them, Wanda Gray, has an Elementary School out here named after her, and they were all school teachers.  The oldest sister, Wilma, had alzheimers and repeated letters all day like she was teaching kids. Wanda has had a stroke and so she has trouble speaking and remembering. One day when we came Wanda was holding Wilma's hand and listening to her, trying to understand and help her even though she wasn't making sense.  She had clearly been sitting there with her for hours, trying to help.  The next time we came Wilma had passed away. When we got up to leave after visiting with them, Wanda, who hadn't said much, gave us both kisses and told us she loved us. She was clearly in so much pain because she had just lost her sister, but she still had so much love and shared it with us. I want to have the kind of love they have and live the kind of life they've lived.
 
 Love,
Sister Monson
 
So...I'm attaching some pictures but there will be more next week, and better ones. We left one of the picture cd's at home.  Bang is the shorter one, Do is the taller one. The guy standing with them in one of the pictures is Mike, who baptized them.  The one of me on my bed is when my bed was on the kitchen table.
 
PS - the institute director here knows Chrissy! His name is John Lawson. He dated her friend and she dated his. There are so many people out here who have connections to people I know.  Two of the people in the ward served missions with people from my wards at Glenwood, I went to the house of a girl who was in my class last semester, and one of the girls here is the sister of the roommate of a guy I dated.  It's a small world!



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.



8 Images | View Slideshow | Download Selected | Download All  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment